The 24 Hour Knight
Today’s men face many commitments. From his duty to his family to his obligation to his work place, there are constant calls on his time. When approached from someone from the Knight’s how many times have you replied: “I don’t have much time to give to the Knights, so why should I join?” It’s a common concern among many prospects that they just don’t have the time to be a part of the Knights of Columbus.
Imagine if I were able to tell you that you could just give 24 hours a year to the Knights of Columbus. And with that you could make a positive difference in your community and Church. Below is an illustration of just how little time it takes to be an active part of the Knights of Columbus. Even with this minimal commitment you can be an important part of a council and reap the benefits of what membership in the Knights of Columbus has to offer you and your family:
- 12 hours a year reading the weekly parish bulletin, the state and local council newsletters, Columbia magazine, and surfing the state council and Supreme Council Web sites.
- 2 hours a year volunteering at the council’s annual drive for people with intellectual disabilities (our Tootsie Roll Drive).
- 2 hours a year attending, with your family, two council corporate Communions or prayer services at the parish.
- 2 hours a year on a council-sponsored Church, community, council family or youth project of your choosing.
- 2 hours a year attending one council meeting.
- 4 hours a year enjoying (again, with your entire family) a council social function such as a dinner, dance, picnic, etc.
There are 8,760 hours in a year. By giving the Knights of Columbus 24 of those hours (less than .3 percent), you can be a better Catholic, a better father, a better husband and a better person. Think of the difference the Knights of Columbus can make in our communities if you join us.